Skip to main content

Stampede and Air (planes)

Gord ... 

Good morning. Thanks for the email. 

No I did not go to, or take in, any of the Calgary Stampede events. Why? Well, I don't like crowds. And many of the events are standing, no sitting. And my legs aren't that great. But the real reason? I have overdosed on concerts and other crowd based events. I know it sounds like a cop-out but due to radio commitments during my broadcast career, I attended or emceed so many (too many) hence my term - overdosed. 

I've been to three concerts in the three years I've lived here in the west: two were at the Saddledome, one was at a high end acoustically perfect theatre. 

The Chris Stapleton concert at the Saddledome was a family affair; my son Zach, daughter in law Emily, me and Emily's dad who was visiting Calgary. 

The John Fogarty concert at the Saddledome was a no brainer. A great artist. And I played every CCR hit during my years on air. 

The Herb Alpert concert at the Bella Concert Hall at Mount Royal University was the greatest concert I have ever attended. An 88 year old musician who still plays, performs and entertains as well as he did back in the 1960s. 

You said: "I have always been a wannabe pilot but did nothing about it." 

I (also) have always been a wannabee pilot, but 'tried' to do something about it. Back in the 90's my friend Kirk MacNeil was a flight instructor for a company based at Sydney airport. We had worked out a 'pay as you go' training plan that would allow me to afford to pursue a license. My first lesson was scheduled for a Wednesday afternoon at 5p. My work day ended at 4p. 

To say I was excited ... 

I received the phone call from Kirk around noon that day. The company he worked for had closed their Sydney operation and were moving their assets back to home base in St. John's Newfoundland. The next closest flight school to me: Moncton New Brunswick. 

So the only air I've ever flown is the air between the transmitter and the receiver lol. 

All the best ... DJB 

Comments

  1. That was a shame that the flight schools couldn’t make a profit at Sydney airport, I would love had it stayed in business. After that, I went out West and became a Flight Instructor in Grand Forks BC and then became a Transport Canada Inspector in Calgary for a while, but left that to fly a Corporate Jet which is based in Halifax and that’s what I do nowadays. But I still wish Sydney could have succeeded in having a Flight School.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Kirk. I hope you continue to "dance the skies on laughter silvered wings"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment